Friday, November 20, 2009

meet me for lunch in...paris


Have always wanted to eat at Jacques Cagna and got my chance here at his 'other place' in the Left Bank, 6iéme arrondisement, where I stayed for the weekend. I made my reservations by internet several weeks ahead of time and had to call that morning from the hotel to reconfirm. My reservation was for noon and I was the first to occupy the dining room but it shortly filled up.

It turned out to be a very relaxed, down home type of meal. The service was elegant but friendly. The room was along the lines of a fine farmhouse dining room.

The menu was the starter+main+dessert [or any combination thereof] formula. I opted for the starter+main.
Lunch began with Whole grain bread made on the premises served with a sealed pot of butter.
Ordered eau gazeuse [sparkling water] and a glass of Sancerre white wine to go with meal.

My starter is not on the website menu. It was Eggs Farmer Style, the eggs being 'bio-fermier' or organic. This was served in a large ramekin: two eggs sunny side up with three coins of foie gras and diced tomato. Delicious and sopped up with the bread, more delicious.

The main was the Poulet Fameux [famous chicken], again organic. This serving was a breast with wing attached, cooked perfectly moist with crispy skin. Puréed potatoes and gravy [more sopping up].

Skipping dessert I had my usual Café Noisette [espresso with a dollop of milk this resembling the noisette 'almond']. The coffee usually comes with a little cookie so that was my dessert.

bloginfo: The restaurant was not easy to find as rue Christine is a very small street with not much else on it.
blognote: This was not the most exciting meal I had this weekend in Paris but probably the best cooked. Cost: €43.10 and left change for €45 total.

See my other website for the rest of the meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment